Thursday, February 25, 2010

Terry the teranoma


Terry the teranoma grows on Barkley's eyeball. At first, Toronto Animal Services thought the eye was unsalvageable with all the hair growing out of it and they were going to remove the whole eyeball, but one of the vets suggested that it might not be too difficult to extract Terry and maybe preserve some sight.

So, they asked me to take some close-ups to send to the ophthalmologist.


I hadn't taken that close a look at the eye before and now all I can say is ewww. I half expect Terry teranoma to start squirming around.


Terry reminds me of one of those underdeveloped bodies that grows out the back of someone's neck except it's not really even a body but just three fingers, a patch of hair, a nose and a big tongue all mashed together into a blobulous glob.


Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating. Compared to a tongue glob, Terry teranoma isn't bad at all. He's just like a little fuzzy caterpillar.


Nice Terry. We shouldn't be so hard on teratomas. They're like pets that grow out of your armpit.



More on Barkley here.

9 comments:

Argyle Acorn said...

My first impression: EEEEWWWWWW. and then all i can think is 'Poor puppy'... i hope he finds a foreverhome...

House of the Discarded said...

*gag*

K said...

Opened Google Reader to read blogs on my lunch break. All of a sudden, I'm not that hungry...

Poor pup :(

Barb said...

I've never seen anything like that before!! Please let us know how he does. Poor Barkley! He's adorable! And will be even more so without his little friend.

Erin said...

Here's your odd question of the day...do you watch Lucy, Daughter of the Devil? It's a slightly obscure but amusing cartoon and at one point they have Terry the Teratoma who even talks. It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I started reading your post. The second this is I hope the vets are able to save the eye, although my grandparents had a one eyed chihuahua and it never slowed him down in the least.

Fred said...

Hi Erin, no I've never seen Lucy, Daughter of the Devil but I think I'll start.

Nicola said...

Hi Fred and all - Just to let everyone know, Barkley has his appointment with the ophthamologist on March 2nd. And rest assured, he will find his foreve home. In the interim, don't feel too sorry for him - he's a typically happy, dorky little guy. In fact, I think Terry the Teranoma bothers us humans more than it bothers him :)

Nic

Lynda said...

Fred, I swear I learn something new from you every day. So gross and yet so fascinating at the same time!
Please keep us posted on Barkley's progress.

Lynda

Erin said...

It's quirky but I find it pretty amusing.

Nicola, thanks for the update, he looks like a real cutie!